Hello, The Confident Mom readers!
First off, I would like to say that I am so excited to be guest posting on The Confident Mom! My name is Jen and my site is called How To: Simplify which offers tips, tricks and recipes to simplify life in the kitchen. I’m so thrilled to have been asked by Susan to share my tips, tricks and recipes once a month with the fans and followers of The Confident Mom!
Susan is always full of incredibly helpful advice when it comes to parenting and I hope that you will find my posts to be equally as helpful when preparing food for your family and friends! Now, onto my guest post…enjoy!
I want to start off by saying that these cookies are hands-down delicious…but what makes them even better? Mason jars! One of my favorite gifts to give is a Mason jar filled with ingredients for delicious cookies. They are easy to make, inexpensive, child-friendly and very thoughtful. Usually they are given around the holiday season but they also make great housewarming or host/hostess gifts…or any other occasion that you see fit! They are the perfect gift to give all year round!
The best part about making recipe Mason jars is that it allows you to be creative with the finishing touches. Pick out a decorative fabric, some ribbon to match and create your own recipe gift tag. The possibilities are endless!
All you need to do is follow the simple steps below for Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies…In a Jar. My Mom gave me this “cookie in a jar” and my husband and I could not stop eating these tasty treats. Whether you decide to actually bake the cookies or hand them out as gift jars, everyone who tastes these Chocolate Oatmeal cookies will fall in love with them!
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in small bowl. Place flour mixture in 1-quart Mason jar. Layer remaining ingredients in order listed above, pressing firmly after each layer.*
- Seal with lid and decorate with fabric and ribbon.
- Attach the following recipe to the jar:
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat butter, egg and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Add cookie mix from jar; mix well and break up any clumps.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon or ice cream scoop onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks.
*If you want to bake the cookies instead of packaging up the contents and giving it out as a gift, mix all of the ingredients in the first list and add them to the second list of ingredients. Then follow the baking directions and the cookies will turn out great!
Jen Tilley can’t get enough of baking, cooking, entertaining, and gardening. She spends here free-time out of the kitchen playing with her two dogs and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys learning, experimenting and trying new ideas all the time and passes on her great tips at How To: Simplify. Look for more of her great recipes in the weeks to come!