I’ve shared with you a bit about being able to get off antidepressant medication that I’ve taken for over 15 years – I am now completely drug free for over 2 1/2 months from any antidepressant medication. I am so thankful and grateful and I feel that I owe it to my use of essential oils as I weaned myself off medication and began treating my symptoms with natural essential oils.
So many have wondered about my routine, I have an updated post here that gives very specific information on the oils I use daily and how I use them, Overcoming Depression using Essential Oils.
You’ve heard that aromatherapy can “uplift the mood.” I didn’t give it much thought until I began using Young Living Essential Oils for other uses and saw how effective they were for treating other symptoms.
I’ve felt two have played a role in my success; Joy™ and Harmony™. Today I will share about Joy™ and in the next few weeks I will highlight Harmony™.
Joy™ is a luxuriously exotic blend with uplifting overtones that create magnetic energy and bring joy to the heart. Honestly, when I first opened the bottle and smelled it, I was like, “UGH!” I did not like the scent really at all. I knew there was a strong geranium scent, which I had read was great for symptoms of depression, but it was very powerful. Little did I know that often times the smells from essential oils that are most ‘offending’ to you are the actual oils/smell that your body is craving!
I began dabbing a few drops over my heart on my wrists and behind my ears several times a day. I also began using it in my diffuser – which really helped create a refreshing and uplifting environment! It really seem to make a difference for my family – a little attitude adjustment, but they just didn’t realize it
A note on diffusers too,
I was able to get my Young Living Home Diffuser for free with the special promotion for January, but when you purchase any one of the “Start Living” enrollment kits you can get a $40 OFF Diffuser Coupon, which is great! (An exciting update - you can purchase a starter kit now that includes JOY as well as a diffuser!) I purchased a much cheaper diffuser from Lowe’s last month and returned it shortly after I began using it. It worked intermittently and did not diffuse nearly as well as the YL one I had. Yes, it cost a bit more, but I would prefer longer life, than just cheap.
What I really enjoy about the blends that Young Living puts together, is the combinations you can get, but you don’t have to buy all the individual oils to create your own blends. It is all done for you – and you can grab these great little ball rollers, officially called AromaGlide Roller Fitamits to replace any of the bottle toppers to create a ready-made roll-on applicator. I need to grab me another bottle of Joy in April so I can create my roll-on – I’ve done so with Lavender and it makes it so easy to use and dab on.
There are 10 different oils that make up Joy’s blend:
Bergamot (Citrus bergamia)
Has analgesic, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It is refreshing and uplifting and helps with anxiety and depression.
Ylang ylang (Cananga odorata)
Increases relaxation; balances male and female energies. It also restores confidence and equilibrium.
Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
Has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-depressant, and sedative properties. Its aroma lifts the spirit and releases negative emotions.
Rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora)
Has antiviral, antibacterial, anti-infectious and antifungal properties. It is emotionally stabilizing and sometimes used for depression.
Lemon (Citrus limon)
Has antiseptic and immune stimulating properties. It is purifying and uplifting. A 1995 Mie University study documented the ability of citrus fragrances to combat depression and boost immunity.
Mandarin (Citrus reticulata)
Has antidepressant and antispasmodic properties. It is emotionally uplifting
Jasmine (Jasminum officinale)
Has antidepressant and antispasmodic properties. It is emotionally uplifting.
Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
Has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and anti-infectious properties. It is calming and relaxing and is used for depression and stress.
Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii)
Has antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It helps reduce nervous tension and anxiety.
Rose (Rosa damascena)
Has anti-hemorrhaging, anti-infectious and aphrodisiac properties. It is stimulating to the mind and creates a sense of well being.
In addition, here are some other ways you can simply add “Joy” to your everyday life:
- Put 2-3 drops of your favorite YL oil on a cotton ball placed inside the vacuum canister of your vacuum cleaner.
- Put 1-2 drops of Joy on a tissue, inhale
- Use 3-4 drops in your bath water to boost your mood.
- Place ‘neatly’ on areas of poor circulation.
- Place 2 drops on a cloth that you put in the dryer for great smelling clothes.
- Uplifting deodorant – Mix in a small jar – 2 oz. Cornstarch, 1 oz. Baking soda, and a few drops Joy essential oil
- Add 10 to 12 drops of your favorite YL essential oil to 2 oz. of Massage Oil base (like grapeseed oil) for a quick massage.
- Put a few drops in plain lotion.
- Use a drop ‘neatly’ to help reduce irritability and nervousness (great for kids!)
- Place a few drops on abdomen to relieve menstrual cramping.
- Joy may lower blood pressure, especially when stressed induced.
- Use Joy for postpartum depression.
- Diffuse Joy in the home to lift everyone’s spirits – this is one of my favorites!
- Joy may help with lower back pain. Rub a few drops on each day.
- Use Joy on note cards and letters to make a lovely scented stationary.
- Place a few drops of Joy in your car placed in a cotton ball
- Use a few drops on temples and breathe deeply for emotional headaches.
- Use Joy to boost libido
- Use Joy daily during times of emotional stress.
- Sprinkle a few drops in potpourri to improve the fragrance.
- Inhale or dilute and massage into muscles for increased energy.
- Apply Joy daily to prevent mood swings.
- Rub a drop of Joy oil over the heart and on the bottom of each foot to relieve feelings of frustration or depression and prevent mood swings
- Put a drop of Joy oil on the tip of the nose to uplift your mood.
I am ever so grateful to have discovered the benefits of using Joy and look forward to sharing with you more on the oils I am incorporating in our home. Even my husband, the ever ending skeptic is beginning to come around!
If you would like to grab a bottle of Joy for yourself either as a customer or perhaps receive oils at a discount, you can find more information here on how you can do that. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here and I will try to answer to the best of my ability. I know so many of us suffer from depression and anxiety and would love to have relief. It is my “JOY” to share my natural remedy with you!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. I am just a mom sharing my experience in order to help others!